We take pitches about all destinations in South America, especially if they include profiles of local artists, guides, and small business owners or tourist destinations that are working towards sustainability and bring tourist dollars directly into the local economy.
Currently, we are interested in boosting our content for off-the-beaten-path locations in Southern Ecuador, Peru, and any destinations in Bolivia.
We prefer that you send us a pitch rather than a complete article. Keep in mind that the majority of our published articles are 300-500 words but we will consider longer submissions. Your pitch should include a little background about yourself and links to two to three writing samples.
We are not interested in any Best of Lists, Guides to Places that aren’t really guides, or reviews of restaurants and hotels. We will consider publishing pieces that warn tourists about destinations where sustainability is in name only. However, we prefer to highlight tourist destinations in developing nations for taking steps towards protecting the environment while bringing needed dollars into the local economy.
We ask that writers:
- Have a good command of the English language.
- Be culturally sensitive, especially when writing about tribal nations and indigenous peoples.
- Write in the first person.
- Have first-hand knowledge of the destination or topic.
- Be willing to work directly in WordPress.
- Be familiar with basic SEO practices or be willing to learn.
- Make an account on our website.
- Load a profile picture.
- Provide a short bio; it can and should include links to your own website.
If you are interested in writing for Not Your Average American, please drop us a line!
Esta publicación está disponible en: Español